variants: or Austrian shade or less commonly Austrian curtain
Definition of Austrian blind
: a curtain that usually can be raised and lowered by pulling a cord and that is gathered along vertical lines in a way that forms a scalloped pattern … bustles … ruched in the manner of Austrian shades …— Linda Gillan Griffin, Houston Chronicle, 17 Sept. 1999
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game