Definition of Austenian
: of, relating to, or having the characteristics of Jane Austen or her writings One of the reasons she is so readable is her Austenian talent for depicting domestic hypocrisies and drawing room cruelties. — Sandra Barwick, Evening Standard (London), 17 Jan. 1995 … her impressions of the voyage and plantation life are described in genteel, if convoluted, Austenian prose.— Mustapha Marrouchi, College Literature, 22 Mar. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game