Definition of Astrapotheria
: an order of extinct South American ungulates that may have diverged from primitive notoungulates in the Paleocene, flourished in the Oligocene and Miocene, and were distinguished by large size with marked disproportion between the powerful forequarters and feebly developed hindquarters, cowlike incisors accompanied by immense persistently growing canines and huge molars, and probably an elephantine proboscis
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game