Definition of Armenian cucumber
: a long, slender melon that has a curved or sinuous shape and a thin, typically light green skin and that resembles a cucumber in texture and flavor but is technically a variety (Cucumis melo flexuosus) of the muskmelon Long, light-green and curving Armenian cucumbers come with a pleasing aroma and a mild, almost sweet flavor—they technically are a ribbed melon, but have a hint of cucumber flavor. — Contra Costa Times (California), 4 July 2007
— called also serpent cucumber, snake cucumber, snake gourd, snake melon
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game