Definition of Arctic haze
: a layer of aerosol particulates in the atmosphere primarily over the northwestern regions of North America Arctic haze, mainly a mixture of sulfate and particulate organic matter, has a distinct seasonal cycle, with a maximum in late winter and early spring …— Yinghui Liu et al., Journal Of Climate, 1 Apr. 2010
Note: North American Arctic haze is currently believed to be caused by industrial pollution riding the winds eastward from Asia.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game