catalase

noun

cat·​a·​lase ˈka-tə-ˌlās How to pronounce catalase (audio)
-ˌlāz
: a red crystalline enzyme that consists of a protein complex with hematin groups and catalyzes the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen
catalatic adjective

Examples of catalase in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web In the liver 80 percent is broken down by alcohol dehydrogenase; the remaining 20 percent is possibly metabolized by another enzyme, catalase. Mark Fischetti, Scientific American, 1 Sep. 2023 Are there any conditions that eliminate the catalase activity? Svenja Lohner, Scientific American, 10 Nov. 2016 In fact, the catalase reaction is dependent on the substrate concentration. Svenja Lohner, Scientific American, 10 Nov. 2016 Blood and most of our cells contain an enzyme called catalase. Dr. Michael Daignault, USA TODAY, 24 Feb. 2022 Certain cells in the small intestine have high amounts of catalase, an enzyme that breaks down hydrogen peroxide to release oxygen. Pratibha Gopalakrishna, STAT, 26 Aug. 2020 Yeast is an organism that contains a special chemical called catalase that can act as a catalyst to help break down hydrogen peroxide. Ben Finio, Scientific American, 1 Aug. 2019 Normally, catalase is one of the most efficient enzymes in the human body, capable of decomposing of millions of hydrogen peroxide molecules every second. David Grossman, Popular Mechanics, 28 May 2019 See More

These examples are programmatically compiled from various online sources to illustrate current usage of the word 'catalase.' Any opinions expressed in the examples do not represent those of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback about these examples.

Word History

Etymology

catalysis

First Known Use

1901, in the meaning defined above

Time Traveler
The first known use of catalase was in 1901

Dictionary Entries Near catalase

Cite this Entry

“Catalase.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/catalase. Accessed 22 Feb. 2024.

Medical Definition

catalase

noun
cat·​a·​lase ˈkat-ᵊl-ˌās, -ˌāz How to pronounce catalase (audio)
: a red crystalline enzyme that consists of a protein complex with hematin groups and catalyzes the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen
catalatic adjective

More from Merriam-Webster on catalase

Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!