Definition of Arctic ground squirrel
- When we hiked across the tundra, we were greeted by Arctic ground squirrels, called sik sik by natives for their scolding tone.
- —Michael Dobrin, Los Angeles Times, 5 Aug. 2007
- A biologist in Alaska has uncovered a hibernating mammal that routinely tolerates a body temperature below zero. The creature in question is the arctic ground squirrel, Spermophilus parryii.
- —Stephen Young, New Scientist, 29 July 1989
- … frequent stops to view caribou, moose, foxes, Dall sheep, eagles, hawks, Arctic squirrels and beavers …
- —Florence Fabricant, New York Times, 6 Sept. 1992