Definition of Apache trout
: a deep-bodied trout (Oncorhynchus apache) inhabiting cool mountain streams and lakes of Arizona that is yellowish-brown to olive above and golden yellow on the sides and belly and is marked throughout with black spots The Apache trout, the state fish and one of two trout native to Arizona (the Gila is the other), has recovered enough that it … could soon become the first fish ever removed from the federal government's wildlife-protection list without going extinct.— Shaun McKinnon, Arizona Republic, 19 July 2010
Note: The Apache trout closely resembles the Gila trout (Oncorhynchus gilae synonym Oncorhynchus gilae gilae) and is often classified as a subspecies of the Gila trout (Oncorhynchus gilae apache).
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game