Amu Dar'yageographical name
Definition of Amu Dar'ya
river over 1500 miles (2400 kilometers) long in central and western Asia flowing from the Pamirs into the Aral Sea
Note: Reduced flow of the Amu Darya in the latter part of its course, mainly due to the siphoning off of water for irrigation, has been a contributing factor in the severe shrinkage of the Aral Sea.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game