Definition of Pamirs
mountain region of central Asia in Tajikistan and on the borders of the Xinjiang Uygur region of China, the Kashmir region of India, and Afghanistan and from which radiate the Tian Shan mountain system to the north, the Kunlun Mountians and the Karakoram Range to the east, and the Hindu Kush mountain range to the west
Note: There are many peaks in the Pamirs that are over 20,000 feet (6095 meters) high.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game