Ami·ci prism | \ əˈmēchē-\
Definition of Amici prism
: a composite prism used in direct-vision spectroscopes and made by combining alternate flint and crown glass components with their refracting edges in opposite directions and with prism angles so chosen that nonhomogeneous light passing through the prism is dispersed into a spectrum, the beam as a whole undergoing no net deviation — compare achromatic prism
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game