Definition of American yellowwood
: yellowwood sense 1a … I'm waiting to see when, if ever, an American yellowwood (Cladrastis lutea) that I planted in 1983 … is going to show me the fragrant wisterialike flowers the tree is renowned for.— Susan M. Seidman, Fine Gardening, September/October 1990
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game