Definition of American school
: the economists that adhered to the American system specifically : the American economists who rejected the Ricardian doctrine of rent and the Malthusian doctrine, advocated a protective tariff, accepted the labor theory of value but not its implication of a subsistence wage, and held that labor's lot continuously improves
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?