American burying beetlenoun
Definition of American burying beetle
: a burying beetle (Nicrophorus americanus) of North America that has a shiny black body with orange markings on the elytra and pronotum … encompassing some 200 acres of seaside farm fields that provide habitat for the unique and endangered American burying beetle (which buries the carcasses of small animals), among other rare species.— Alison Gregor, Newsday, 15 June 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game