Definition of American beautyberry
: a shrub (Callicarpa americana) native to the southern U.S. and West Indies that has clusters of small, usually pink flowers and purple berries and is often used as an ornamental The native American beautyberry comes to life, maturing bright purple clusters of pea-size fruits along the stems.— Tom MacCubbin, Orlando Sentinel, 30 Sept. 1995
— called also beautyberry, French mulberry
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?