Amazon river dolphinnoun
variants: or less commonly Amazon dolphin
Definition of Amazon river dolphin
: boto Amazon river dolphins, or botos, have a curious habit: occasionally one will grab some river grass or a rock in its mouth and pop its head above the surface, showing its prize for all to see.— Henry Fountain, New York Times, 1 Apr. 2008 At up to 450 pounds and eight feet in length, the Amazon dolphin, or boto, is the largest of the four known species of river dolphin.— Mark Jenkins, National Geographic, June 2009
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game