variants: or less commonly bouto
plural botos also boutos
Definition of boto
: a large, heavy river dolphin (Inia geoffrensis) native to the Amazon and Orinoco river basins that is dark gray when young and pinkish as an adult The boto—the largest of the four remaining species of river dolphin—is well adapted to its murky environment. Unfused vertebrae in its neck mean it is capable of turning its head through a range of 180 degrees, allowing it to squeeze around submerged trees and roots.— Rowan Hooper, New Scientist, 17 Dec. 2011
— called also Amazon dolphin, Amazon river dolphin, pink dolphin, pink river dolphin
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game