Definition of Alfvénic
: of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an Alfvén wave Alfvénic velocity In a magnetic nozzle the Alfvén speed plays a role similar to that of the sound speed in a conventional nozzle. The transition from sub-Alfvénic to super-Alfvénic flow delineates a boundary beyond which the flow downstream has no effect upstream—which ensures that the detachment exerts no drag on the rocket.— Franklin R. Chang Díaz, Scientific American, November 2000
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game