Definition of Alberta spruce
: a white spruce (Picea glauca albertiana) of the northwestern United States and Canada especially : a slow-growing, dwarf, cone-shaped cultivar (Picea glauca albertiana conica) grown as an ornamental Many homeowners use Alberta spruce as year-round color near their front door. — Marilee Spanjian, The Tennessean, 23 Feb. 2003 Dwarf Alberta spruce grows in the perfect, conical, Christmas-tree form; it is densely covered with foliage, so decorations don't hang as much as protrude from its surface. — Marty Wingate, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 6 Dec. 2001
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game