variants: or less commonly Alaska yellow cedar or Alaska cypress
Definition of Alaska cedar
1 : a tall, slow-growing evergreen tree (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis synonym Xanthocyparis nootkatensis synonym Cupressus nootkatensis) of the Pacific coast of North America that has reddish to grayish-brown bark and scalelike leaves and is often cultivated for ornament
2 : the hard, durable, yellowish wood of the Alaska cedar
— called also Nootka cypress, sitka cypress, yellow cedar
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game