plural A-pillars also A-posts
Definition of A-pillar
: either one of two support posts that are positioned on either side of the windshield of a vehicle and connect the roof to the body Changing the A-pillars meant that additional changes would ripple into the roof and the windshield, into the doors and door glass, into the fenders, into the hood.— James Schefter, All Corvettes Are Red, 1998 also : a structural part of a vehicle that extends from the roof to the floorboard and that connects the windshield and front door to the body of the vehicle Raise or lower the door hinges on the A-pillar until the door is the correct height. — Mike Allen, Popular Mechanics, November 1998
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?