: the action or an instance of upheaving especially of part of the earth's crust
: extreme agitation or disorder : radical change; also : an instance of this
Examples of UPHEAVAL
- The civil rights movement marked a period of social upheaval in the U.S.
- the emotional upheaval of divorce
- a period of cultural and social upheavals
- The island was created by an upheaval of the ocean floor.
- The lake was formed by geologic upheaval.
First Known Use of UPHEAVAL
Learn More About UPHEAVAL
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up upheaval? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).