: unexpected or unusual : causing surprise
Examples of SURPRISING
- It's not surprising that he doesn't want to go.
- The changes to the campus were surprising.
- He shows a surprising lack of concern for others.
- A surprising number of people were laid off at the factory.
First Known Use of SURPRISING
Related to SURPRISING
- amazing, astonishing, astounding, blindsiding, dumbfounding (also dumfounding), eye-opening, flabbergasting, jarring, jaw-dropping, jolting, shocking, startling, stunning, stupefying
Learn More About SURPRISING
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up surprising? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).