a : something that is conveyed as a meaning often obscurely or indirectly
b : the quality of conveying or implying
a : the quality of being important : moment
b : the quality of being statistically significant
Examples of SIGNIFICANCE
- The discovery has great significance to researchers.
- His age is of little significance.
- This building should be preserved because of its historical significance.
- Does the ceremony have any religious significance?
- Her work has a significance that will last beyond her lifetime.
- I failed to understand the significance of her remarks.
- Does the date March 16 have some special significance to you?
- People in ancient times assigned a particular significance to the number seven.
First Known Use of SIGNIFICANCE
Related to SIGNIFICANCE
- content, denotation, drift, import, intent, intention, purport, sense, meaning, signification
- insignificance, littleness, puniness, slightness, smallness, triviality
Learn More About SIGNIFICANCE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up significance? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).