pro·tec·tion noun \prə-ˈtek-shən\
: the state of being kept from harm, loss, etc. : the state of being protected
: something that keeps a person or thing from being harmed, lost, etc. : something that protects someone or something
: a device (such as a condom) that is used during sex to prevent pregnancy or the spread of diseases
a : one that protects
b : supervision or support of one that is smaller and weaker
c : a contraceptive device (as a condom)
: the freeing of the producers of a country from foreign competition in their home market by restrictions (as high duties) on foreign competitive goods
a : immunity from prosecution purchased by criminals through bribery
b : money extorted by racketeers posing as a protective association
: anchoring equipment placed in cracks for safety while rock climbing
Examples of PROTECTION
- He fights for the protection of the environment.
- Hard hats provide protection for the workers' heads.
- The witness was placed under police protection.
First Known Use of PROTECTION
Related to PROTECTION
- aegis (also egis), ammunition, armor, buckler, cover, guard, defense, safeguard, screen, security, shield, wall, ward
- danger, distress, endangerment, imperilment, jeopardy, peril, trouble
Rhymes with PROTECTION
, cross section
Learn More About PROTECTION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up protection? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).