col·lec·tion noun \kə-ˈlek-shən\
: the act or process of getting things from different places and bringing them together
: a group of interesting or beautiful objects brought together in order to show or study them or as a hobby
: a request for money in order to help people or to pay for something important; also : the money collected in this way
a : something collected; especially : an accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby
b : group, aggregate
c : a set of apparel designed for sale usually in a particular season
Examples of COLLECTION
- a system of tax collection
- The technology makes data collection easier.
- There will be a trash collection this week.
- The museum's collection is one of the best in the country.
- We took up a collection for the school renovations.
- Ten percent of the collection goes to the city's shelters for homeless people.
First Known Use of COLLECTION
Rhymes with COLLECTION
, cross section
Learn More About COLLECTION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up collection? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).