fair·ly adverb \ˈfer-lē\
: to some degree or extent but not very or extremely : to a reasonable or moderate extent
: in a way that is right or proper : in a fair way
—used for emphasis before a verb that is being used figuratively
: in a handsome manner <a table fairly set>
a : in a gentle manner : quietly
b : in a courteous manner
a : in a proper or legal manner <fairly priced stocks>
b : without bias or distortion : impartially <a story told fairly and objectively>
Examples of FAIRLY
- It's a fairly common disease.
- I told the story as fairly as possible.
- He reports fairly on the issues.
- He beat me fairly and squarely.
First Known Use of FAIRLY
Related to FAIRLY
- enough, kindly [chiefly Southern], kind of, like, moderately, more or less, pretty, quite, rather, relatively, something, somewhat, sort of, a bit, after a sort, a little, a mite, a tad, a touch, of sorts (or of a sort), to a degree
- dirty, illegally
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up fairly? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).