square·ly adverb \ˈskwer-lē\
: in a direct and honest way
: in the exact location or position that is mentioned ,
: in a way that makes direct contact
: in a straightforward or honest manner <we must squarely face the issue>
a : exactly, precisely <squarely in the middle>
b : so as to make solid contact <hit the ball squarely> <feet squarely planted>
: in a square form or manner : so as to be square <a squarely cut dress>
: in a plain or unequivocal manner <the responsibility lies squarely with us> <align ourselves squarely with our allies>
Examples of SQUARELY
- We must face these problems squarely.
- It's time to deal squarely with the facts.
- literature that is squarely in the American tradition
- Their marketing campaign is aimed squarely at adolescents.
- The dart hit the board squarely in the middle.
- Look me squarely in the eye and tell me you're not lying.
- He hit the ball squarely.
- Her feet were squarely planted.
First Known Use of SQUARELY
Learn More About SQUARELY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up squarely? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).