variants: also mottos
plural of motto
Synonyms of mottoes
a short sentence or phrase that expresses a rule guiding the behavior of a particular person or group
- "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst" is my motto.
- The Scout motto is "Be prepared."
Synonyms & Near Synonyms for mottoes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game