Medical Definition of zinc finger
: any of a class of proteins that typically possess tandem repeats of fingerlike loops of amino acids with each loop containing a zinc-binding site at its base consisting of two molecules of cysteine and two molecules of histidine and that regulates transcription by binding to specific regions of a gene's DNA also : one of the fingerlike amino acid loops of such a protein
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game