vascular endothelial growth factornoun
Medical Definition of vascular endothelial growth factor
: a protein that is a major factor in promoting the growth of new blood vessels The team found that neurons and accessory cells called Schwann cells make a molecule called vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), which is found in a variety of tissues and has been shown to spur blood vessels to sprout and grow.— Greg Miller, Science, 21 June 2002 —abbreviation VEGF
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?