Medical Definition of tuberous sclerosis
: a genetic disorder of the skin and nervous system that is characterized by the formation of small benign tumors in various organs (as the brain, kidney, eye, and heart), is accompanied by variable symptoms including seizures, developmental delay or intellectual disability, and skin lesions (as hypopigmented macules of the trunk and limbs or telangiectatic facial papules), and is inherited as an autosomal dominant trait or results from spontaneous mutation
— called also epiloia
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?