transfusion-related acute lung injurynoun
Medical Definition of transfusion-related acute lung injury
: a sometimes fatal complication of blood transfusion that is characterized by pulmonary edema not due to a cardiac condition, that may be accompanied by fever, dyspnea, hypoxemia, hypotension, or hypertension followed by hypotension, that usually starts one to two hours after blood is transfused and is usually resolved within 96 hours, and that is believed to be caused in susceptible individuals either by antibodies introduced into the blood pool by donors or by biologically active substances generated in stored blood —abbreviation TRALI
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?