variants: or tiotropium bromide
Medical Definition of tiotropium
: an anticholinergic drug administered by oral inhalation in the form of its bromide C19H22NO4S2Br·H2O as a bronchodilator in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Tiotropium is a once-daily, inhaled anticholinergic drug that provides at least 24-hour improvements in airflow and hyperinflation in patients with COPD.— Donald P. Tashkin et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 9 Oct. 2008
Note: Tiotropium is marketed under the trademark Spiriva.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game