Medical Definition of tibial artery
: either of the two arteries of the lower leg formed by the bifurcation of the popliteal artery:
a : a larger posterior artery that divides between the medial malleolus and heel into the lateral and medial plantar arteries
— called also posterior tibial artery
b : a smaller anterior artery that passes between the tibia and fibula, descends in the anterior portion of the leg, and continues beyond the ankle joint into the foot as the dorsalis pedis artery
— called also anterior tibial artery
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game