thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpuranoun
Medical Definition of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
: a rare, serious, blood disorder chiefly of adults that is characterized by hemolytic anemia, low platelet count, mild to severe neurologic abnormalities (such as headache, confusion, and paresthesias), fever, and sometimes renal dysfunction, that is sometimes considered a form of hemolytic uremic syndrome, and that is typically associated with an enzyme deficiency which inhibits the cleavage of von Willebrand factor leading to the aggregation of platelets in blood vessels with resultant fragmentation of circulating red blood cells —abbreviation TTP — compare thrombocytopenic purpura
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game