Medical Definition of thrombocytosis
: increase and especially abnormal increase in the number of platelets in the blood that typically occurs in association with a myeloproliferative disorder (as thrombocythemia or chronic myelogenous leukemia) or as a nonspecific response to an underlying disorder or disease (as a systemic infection) also : thrombocythemia
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game