Medical Definition of thoracic artery
: either of two arteries that branch from the axillary artery or from one of its branches:
a : a small artery that usually arises from the axillary artery below the clavicle and that supplies or sends branches to the two pectoralis muscles and the walls of the chest
— called also supreme thoracic artery
b : an artery that often arises from the thoracoacromial artery or from the subscapular artery rather than the axillary artery and that supplies both pectoralis muscles and the serratus anterior and sends branches to the lymph nodes of the axilla and to the subscapularis muscle
— called also lateral thoracic artery— compare internal mammary artery
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game