Medical Definition of temporal gyrus
: any of three major convolutions of the external surface of the temporal lobe of a cerebral hemisphere that are arranged approximately horizontally with one above the other:
a : the one that is uppermost and borders the sylvian fissure
— called also superior temporal gyrus
b : one lying in the middle between the other two
— called also middle temporal gyrus
c : the lowest of the three
— called also inferior temporal gyrus
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?