tag·a·tose | \ ˈtag-ə-ˌtōs also -ˌtōz\
Medical Definition of tagatose
: a crystalline ketohexose sugar C6H12O6 found naturally in the D-form (as in gum from a West African tree Sterculia setigera and in various dairy products) and also obtainable from galactose by treatment with dilute alkali that is nearly as sweet as sucrose and is used as a low-calorie sweetener
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game