Medical Definition of syndrome X
1 : angina pectoris of a usually benign form in which the coronary arteriogram is normal
2 : metabolic syndrome Metabolic syndrome, sometimes called syndrome X, was first defined in 1988 as a collection of health risks that may increase the chances of developing cardiovascular disease two-and-a-half to four times, and diabetes by four to six times.— Catherine Arnst, Business Week, 10 Oct. 2005
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game