sudden cardiac deathnoun
Medical Definition of sudden cardiac death
: death occurring within minutes or hours following onset of acute symptoms of cardiac arrest resulting especially from an arrhythmia The defibrillator is intended for use in patients who are at high risk of sudden cardiac death due to ventricular tachyarrhythmia.— Stuart L. Nightingale, The Journal of the American Medical Association, 11 Apr., 1986 Noting that two drugs under evaluation increased patients' chances of sudden cardiac death, federal officials this week halted a major portion of a large, multicenter clinical trial designed to evaluate the long-term effectiveness of drugs that suppress abnormal heart rhythms.— Rick Weiss, Science News, 29 Apr. 1989
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?