Medical Definition of subcostal vein
: either of two veins:
a : one that arises on the right side of the anterior abdominal wall, follows a course along the lower margin of the twelfth rib, and joins in the formation of the azygos vein
— called also right subcostal vein
b : one on the left side of the body that usually empties into the hemiazygos vein
— called also left subcostal vein
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game