Medical Definition of styloid process
: any of several long slender pointed bony processes: as
a : a sharp spine that projects downward and forward from the inferior surface of the temporal bone just in front of the stylomastoid foramen and that is derived from cartilage of the second visceral arch
b : an eminence on the distal extremity of the ulna projecting from the medial and posterior part of the bone and giving attachment to a ligament of the wrist joint
c : a conical prolongation of the lateral surface of the distal extremity of the radius that gives attachment to several tendons and ligaments
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game