Medical Definition of streptavidin
: a protein similar to avidin that is produced by a bacterium of the genus Streptomyces (S. avidinii), has four identical subunits that each bind tightly to a molecule of biotin, and is used especially in the detection of molecules (as nucleic acids or antibodies) linked to a biotin label
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game