variants: or stiff person syndrome also stiff man-syndrome or stiff man syndrome
Medical Definition of stiff-person syndrome
: an uncommon neurological disorder that is marked by progressive muscle stiffness in the spine and limbs and especially the legs and by episodes of painful muscle spasms which occur spontaneously or are triggered by various external stimuli (as a sudden, loud noise)
Note: While the cause of stiff-person syndrome is unknown, it is usually thought to be an autoimmune disorder which affects females more often than males.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?