Medical Definition of spinothalamic tract
: any of four tracts of nerve fibers of the spinal cord that are arranged in pairs with one member of a pair on each side and that ascend to the thalamus by way of the brain stem:
a : one on each side of the anterior median fissure that carries nerve impulses relating to the sense of touch
— called also anterior spinothalamic tract, ventral spinothalamic tract
b : one on each lateral part of the spinal cord that carries nerve impulses relating to the senses of touch, pain, and temperature
— called also lateral spinothalamic tract
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game