Medical Definition of spinocerebellar tract
: any of four nerve tracts which pass from the spinal cord to the cerebellum and of which two are situated on each side external to the crossed corticospinal tracts:
a : a posterior tract on each side that arises from cells in the nucleus dorsalis especially on the same side and passes to the inferior cerebellar peduncle and vermis of the cerebellum
— called also dorsal spinocerebellar tract, posterior spinocerebellar tract
b : an anterior tract on each side that arises from cells mostly in the dorsal column of gray matter on the same or opposite side and passes through the medulla oblongata and pons to the superior cerebellar peduncle and vermis
— called also anterior spinocerebellar tract, Gowers's tract, tract of Gowers, ventral spinocerebellar tract
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?