Medical Definition of sore mouth
1 : a highly contagious virus disease of sheep and goats that is caused by a poxvirus (species Orf virus of the genus Parapoxvirus), occurs especially in young animals, is characterized by extensive vesiculation and subsequent ulceration about the lips, gums, and tongue, and rarely ends fatally but interferes with nutrition and may be complicated by secondary bacterial infection
— called also orf, scabby mouth
2 : necrobacillosis affecting the mouth especially : calf diphtheria
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game