somatized or chiefly British somatised; somatizing or chiefly British somatising
Medical Definition of somatize
: to express (as psychological conflicts) through somatic symptoms somatized anxieties
: to express psychological conflicts through somatic symptoms some people somatize — they have all kinds of body aches and pains that their doctors can't explain— Roger Callahan et al
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game